Saturday, October 27, 2007

BELGRADE....home sweet home...

I have arrived in Belgrade this evening after an exciting overnight train ride from Geneva. The first day we arrived in Geneva consisted of a walk around the lake, a coffee break, some of the historic sights of Geneva, and an early dinner followed by an early bedtime. We were then able to sleep in each day to help us better accommodate to the new time zone. We watched lots of BBC documentaries (2 separate series) based on the Bosnian and Kosovo wars. We also watched a Women in Black video. It made me even more excited to arrive. We then left on Friday evening on a train to Zurich where we transferred to a night train to Zagreb. Tory and Katie (the other two Balkan BVSers) then transferred to a bus from Zagreb. I stayed on the train (I moved from the cozy sleeping cars to the cozy sitting cars) all the way to Belgrade. Rachel met me at the station and helped me lug my stuff up a steep hill. I will be staying in a bedroom/storage room in the office for a few weeks. I don't think I will meet everyone until Monday, but they left me some flowers and some welcoming signs. It was a nice surprise.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Another "Office". This one starring Katie via WEBCAM. I'll have to get the episodes from the "parental units." I'm glad that you are "home" safe and sound. We will look forward to your musings. Take care. We miss you and pray for you daily.

P.I. not to be confused with P.U.(parental units)

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you have arrived from your travels safely to what is your home for awhile. Hope it won't take you too long to find some good places to shop and eat. We'll send some Halloween pix in a couple of days, and when you get the post office system worked out let us know and we'll send you some candy, too ;)

Amy's Anecdotes said...

We are glad that you have arrived safely in Belgrade. We look forward to hearing about the latest news and what you are learning when you are there. We love you and miss you. Let us know when you have an address, and we will start sending cards!

Love, Keith and Amy

parental units said...

from the Elder P.U.,
I lost my first comments due to lack of commuter knowledge of self and the guy who can always figure out the computer avenues. Hopefully,this will go through easily. Gladd to hear you have met several English speaking compatriots and have a plan for Thanksgiving. Bren is fighting with the bear. Love you x a bazillion

parental units said...

I can't hardly wait for another update it sounds like fun on the run. You are surely loved and missed yet I encourage you to continue the good race and to put up the great fight for your victory is secured by the one who knows the way. Love dad

janet said...

hey lady.

i can vividly imagine you hiking that hill hauling all your crap. kind of like that one time in the el paso air port when jill got you a cart haha. :) i miss you.

we did the myers briggs and ryan used your "organizational" skills as an example. :) i laughed. and then he put me in the same category. haha.

enjoy staying in the closet. when do you get a real home>?? love you. j

Anonymous said...

We're proud of you. Glad you made it through the first police questions. Next time will be a lot easier. I'm sure it's hard to think with so many around. We really enjoy reading what you are doing and about your surrondings.
Love you, Grandma

/// said...

Yay! I didn't realize you were updating your blog ALREADY!!! :)

Woo hoo! Lotsa fun reading for today.

Miss you, love you, take care of yourself, ok?

-e