Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Things I have learned to say in Srpski (Serbian)

Here is a list of the random things I have learned to say in srpski (Serbian):

1. My name is Katie (Ja sam Katie).
2. This is my watch (Ovo je moj sat).
3. This is my book (Ovo je moja knjiga).
4. This is my pen (Ovo je moje pero).
5. That is your watch (To je tvoj sat).
6. That is his book (To je njegova knjiga).
7. That is her pen (To je njeno pero).
8. I am studying Serbian (Ucim srpski).
9. Good morning (Dobro jutro).
10. Good afternoon (Dobar dan).
11. Good night (Laku noc).
12. Are you a student? (Da li si student?)
13. Yes, I am a student (Da, ja sam studentkinja).
14. I am American (Ja sam Amerikanka).*
15. We are friends (Mi smo drugovi).

Unfortunately, there are several vital accent marks missing throughout these translations since I have not yet figured out how to enter them in. I have learned that Serbian nouns change their endings based upon whether or not it is male singular or male plural, female singular or female plural, gender neutral singular or gender neutral plural. They also change their endings if you are using them in a sentence that involves location. For instance, the Serbian name for Belgrade is Beograd, but when I say I work in Belgrade I change the word to Beogradu. Apparently, there is a completely separate ending if you are ask someone if they are going somewhere (but this is too advanced for us to worry about right now).

Things I wish I knew to say in Serbian:

1. Numbers
2. Names for various foods and how to order them.
3. I want/I need
4. Vocabulary for directions
5. I don't speak Serbian.
6. I don't understand.
7. Excuse me (as in please move).
8. Sorry (as in oops I didn't mean to run right into you).
9. The names of the streets (particularly those for the office and school)
10. Do you speak English?
11. I don't like....(fill in the blank with various foods, smells, etc.)
12. Please stop making out in the office and making lip smacking sounds because it is annoying.

*Apparently, people here use the word America interchangeably with USA and American as the equivalent of US citizen (as they do in many other countries from my experience). In fact, when I asked specifically the word for US in class I was told by one professor it was unimportant. The next day's professor was kind enough to teach me the word for US, but still said I should just use America/American.

6 comments:

janet said...

kt please just speak spanish to the people. that will add more confusion to your life and theirs... but very humorous :) love you.

Anonymous said...

To 'Ja sam Katie'

The language barrier has to be tough. However this seems to be a universal problem. I too have trouble communicating clear enough in English...I want/I need; I don't
like; I have heard that song before, but a different version;and, of course, PLEASE stop making out in the office so much (but in my line of work the coworker seems to think I am irresistible). Perhaps a different language will get the point across.
For your situation a well timed "P.D.A." may at least halt the activity for a moment. Take care (and depending on the hour):

Dobro jutro. OR
Dobar dan. OR
Laku noc.

P.I.

P.S.
Does "NO" mean "NO" in srpski?

Anonymous said...

Perhaps another good thing to know in Serbian would be something about a bathroom. Either "where is one," or "no, that's not one." I will have to teach Austin a few Serbian phrases to impress his girls at school. Have a happy Thanksgiving with the people there, but know that we are missing you back here! We love you!
P.S. To P.I. you are SERIOUSLY FREAKING ME OUT :)

parental units said...

To our Serbian resident and her faithful following:
Happy Thanksgiving from CC! We are missing you and anxiously awaiting the resolution of the apt. dilemma. We do not have the beauty of the snow, but I think we are thankful for that! Enjoy the day, and P.I. restrain yourself amongst company in order to set an example for the our Serb girl! love to all, Elizabeth

/// said...

HAHAHAHHAHA... Please stop making out in the office. Hilarious.

and gracious, you are stressing me out just hearing about this language thing.

But congrats to all you have learned thus far. I wish I could help you with more words to learn, but freetranslations.com (my only saving grace in BSU Spanish, not gonna lie) doesn't offer a Serbian option.

SO. You'll just have to write a book, I guess.

parental units said...

Dobro jutro Katie. or I think I have said good morning. I found twelve serbian words for the american word bare. and twelve for the word wonderful. Which one which one O'know I will be so confused. Love dad