Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thankfully, I have written another post.  I'm sure you are all wondering why this post isn't a completion of my most recent post covering some of the similarities between my former home and current one (Belgrade and Derry) as advertised, but you should probably just be thankful to be getting any type of post.  In honor of the upcoming great American holiday, which can said to be uniquely ours, I have switched topics.

I realize Thursday is Thanksgiving Day, but I must admit it has been a struggle to remember. Last Thursday I woke up and thought I, "Today is Thanksgiving and I basically missed it.  I completely forgot that I needed to be full of gratitude today."  Last year Thanksgiving Day was a prominent event that remained front and center in my mind.  I went to J and J's apartment (where I eventually lived) for a huge Thanksgiving feast with pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie, faux cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, turkey, stuffing, pecan pie and lots of other goodies.  It seemed easy to remember and easy to celebrate.  Perhaps, it was because I had only recently left the U.S.  Maybe it was because I was surrounded by a handful of other people hailing from the U.S.  Who knows? All I really know is this year is a different story.  

People started asking  me last week about Thanksgiving, but it has only added to my confusion. The questions were always put in the past tense -- "Did you celebrate Thanksgiving this weekend?" or "What did you do for Thanksgiving?"  Yesterday I went over to a friend's house for dinner and she said, "Oh, yes.  This can be your Thanksgiving dinner.  It is today (Monday) isn't?  Or is it tomorrow (Tuesday)?"  Today at the office I got asked if Thanksgiving was tomorrow (Wednesday).  Needless to say, this has left me quite confused.  I just cannot keep track of whether Thanksgiving is coming or going.  

Anyway, I actually have plans to celebrate Thanksgiving here.  This Sunday I will be traveling to Belfast to participate in the BVS Thanksgiving -- Northern Irish style.  I'm not exactly sure what that means at this point, but I am looking forward to finding out.  






5 comments:

parental units said...

We are very THANKFUL to hear from you this Thanksgiving week. Brensley was thankfully surprised to see a cow in the grassy part of the field by our house when I let her out after school. You will be in every thought Thursday, wishes for health and happiness and pumpkin pie. Excited to see you in TWENTY days!!! EPU

Anonymous said...

Thankful for your post! Have a good one! I hear you are coming to the US - I would love to see you!

Megan E.

parental units said...

I bet turkeys are happier in Ireland, or maybe just confused and caught off guard. ypu

parental units said...

I bet turkeys are happier in Ireland, or maybe just confused and caught off guard. ypu

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving! I am very thankful for you and others who are sacrificing time away from family and old friends to make the world a better place. Much love!