Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A brief update

The hunt is over. I have now found an apartment. I hope to move into the apartment on Thursday or Friday. It's not perfect, but it's home.

In other news, we had a woman from Russia join our Serbian language class. She just started (and we are in our fourth week) and she is better than all of us combined. Apparently, Serbian and Russian are very similiar. Only Russian has 6 cases instead of 7 cases. Making Russia look like a very good place to live right about now.

However, in order to keep up with the Russian (ok, impossible task -- I'm aiming for having some clue as to what her and the professor are talking about) I now am trying to spend even more time studying for class meaning that's all she wrote (for now).

P.S.
I might add that it is very difficult to study Serbian when there is a massive choir practice going on in the next room. On Sunday evening, as I was trying to have an intensive study session I was assailed by the sounds of ten to fifteen voices raised in a joyful song. Of course, I have no idea what they are actually saying (which might be a hint as to how badly I need to be studying), but it sounded great. In fact, one of the songs they practiced was actually two or three words said over and over. Someone kindly handed me a copy of the lyrics (they were in Cyrillic), but it is very unhelpful to have the lyrics (even if I can now read them in the Cyrillic alphabet) if you have no idea what the actual words mean. They are practicing for the December 10th (Human Rights Day) performance; they will be peforming as a portion of the various street actions WiB is organizing for the day. There were also two teenage girls at the office painting large signs to be used on December 10th (They returned this evening just as I was pulling out my books for another study session). So admist the hum of activity in the office, there I was sitting with my notes and my schoolbook trying to memorize the new vocabulary words and understand new grammatical concepts. Interestingly enough, some people did not get the hint that I don't speak or understand Serbian even though I had a large book in front of me that said Serbian for Foreigners posted boldly on the front (in both Serbian and English). I still got asked several questions at which at first I blankly stared at them and then realized I needed to seize this moment to practice. So, I pulled out the ever handy phrase, "Ne govorim srpski" (I don't speak Serbian). Unfortunately, this phrase was from five lessons ago and not the new vocabulary I was having trouble committing to memory. Oh well...I mean, what better excuse for not studying can a girl come up with in class other than, "I was just so caught up in appreciating the rich, beautiful music of Serbia to study."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finding the apartment! When you know your address let us know, and you will start receiving mail!!! Love you and Miss you.

Amy and Keith

parental units said...

/Vunderba on the apartment! Maybe you should have the choir sing "Oh, Happy Day" the next time they are practicing for their WiB action. Speaking of, will you be there? Do you have a scarf, gloves, and hat to wear that day and a warm coat? I remember you writing you could borrow a black coat from one of the girls if needed, I think this is a if needed time. Will send scarves, gloves, and hats per request due to loss from bus excursions. Anyway, I am SO glad to hear you will have a place to put your things were others will not rifle through them. Yeah, rah!
Enjoy the adventure, love always and forever, mom
ps when camera arrives, pictures of apt, office, commute will be anxiously awaited

/// said...

We were SO thrilled to get your postcard!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Let me know what you'd like me to send out--- I miss my penpal! :)

Anonymous said...

Home Sweet Home (away from home)! How do you say that in Serbian, Katie? We look forward to receiving your new address; hopefully we can figure out the alphabet through careful copying, or our packages could end up in Russia! Congratulations on your find...any interesting details on how it came about? Hopefully, hot water and heat are included at no extra cost. We will look forward to a complete description of your new digs when you do get settled.
I think that choir might be very helpful to you...they say it is easier to remember words to music, so you might pick up some interesting expressions.
Thank you for the postcard. It was interesting to see the old buildings of Belgrade that you have been describing. Do you see signs of Christmas in the city?
We just had our first snowfall...your dad even had a 2 hour delay..."Oh Happy Day!"
Hope you are finding life easier now that you know where the coffee/tea shops are, you can enjoy live entertainment and you will soon have your own personal space. Love, Library Lady

janet said...

katie. what is your address. i have found so many things that i want to send you but cant. i'm also relishing in your rolling stones magazine. :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you found your apartment, when you send pictures Austin won't think you live in the building on the front of the postcard. He is also practicing for his choir (kindergarten class) program, although I think the songs he is singing are quite different. You don't have any about dreidels, do you? Hang in there, soon you will have a little space of your own. Love from all of us...I even think Cooper is missing your leg :) Ha!

Anonymous said...

Just in time...a "home for the holidays." A joyful song without understanding the words beats the alternative of knowing the words but not recognizing the song. Not joyful! What postcard?!
Take care!

P.I.

parental units said...

I'm so happy that I can now send some of these extra things lying around here. I might even have some more room to buy some new stuff. I just love to get new stuff but I have nowhere to put it right now. Oh yeah, I might miss the boxes we're using as end tables and I can no longer make excuses for not picking up, but to have the room will be so nice. Wait, this sounds like what you've been saying about living in the storage room at the office. Wow what a small world,like father like daughter. Honestly I am so happy for you to have a place to unwind, that is so great. Love younger P.U.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the mistake! Saw the postcard on PostSecret! Cute cat!

P.I.